Friday, May 27, 2011

anniversary, part 6: the grotto

...pssst...

it's loo-loo's birthday today!


The Grotto. A catholic garden sanctuary. Last time in Portland we went to the Japanese Garden, so this time I wanted to a different one.



This is part of the outdoor chapel. It's a sort of cave in the mountain that they have turned into an alter. It's so gorgeous. If we were catholic, went to church, and lived in Portland, we would go here.



It was lightly raining when we were there, but there are so many trees that we didn't get wet.



I love the candles. We asked what the white ones were for- but the guard didn't know. He said it was one of the many mysteries of the grotto.



Green things grow everywhere here, I love it.



You could buy these candles at the gift shop and light them for your loved ones.



Roses on the altar.



One of the many trees that shade the outdoor pews.




Flowering bushes everywhere.



The indoor chapel.



Simple.





The patron saint of cancer. I never knew there was one...



I love mosaics.



Little waterfall.




It was so peaceful and quiet walking through these trees.



And did I mention how green it is?




On the way back to the hotel, we spotted the widest rainbow either of us had ever seen.



We went back the next day to explore the top part of the gardens, since is was on the way to the airport.

This is the meditation chapel. It sits on the edge of the cliff, that overlooks the bottom part of the garden. The wall is floor to ceiling glass.



I wanted to actually meditate here, but there was a wedding going on and it was kinda noisy. I don't know where they were from- but the wedding party was gorgeous. The bride and groom were dressed head to toe in gold, the bridesmaids in a shimmery coral, and the groomsmen in black. They were speaking a language I didn't recognise, but I thought it was the perfect place to have a wedding.



A tiny chapel that looks like a fairytale cottage.





This is the monastery where the monks and nuns live. There is a huge rose garden in the front- but it was just getting started. I'd love to see it in full bloom...







As I've said a million times, I love moss.



There was this teeny leaf poking out of the moss...




While trying to get this shot, I had to bend over quite a bit- and Danny was embarrassed as my dress got shorter, and shorter. I got it though. That's whats important.



It was the perfect end to a perfect vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment