Wednesday, May 23, 2012

a trip to the redwoods

Photobucket
Danny suggested that we drive north on Sunday so that we could see the full eclipse. We decided that since we were driving north anyway, we might as well go all the way up to the redwood forest and make a day out of it.

We drove about 4 hours, and stopped at the Humbolt Redwoods State Park.

Just last week, Danny's BFF Ashkan moved out here because he got a job with the same company that Danny works for. So Ashkan drove, and him and Danny were taking and laughing and being their geeky selves, while I sat in the back reading a book. Most of you that know my husband know that he's a quiet guy. So it's nice to see him interact with his good friend- to see him totally being himself in front of someone else besides me. 

Photobucket
There were mini fields of clovers all over.



Photobucket
We brought a picnic and ate our sandwiches at a cute little picnic table. I forgot how quiet a forest can be.



Photobucket
And the ferns- the were also everywhere, mostly grouped around the base of the trees.



Photobucket
We drove a little further to the next flat "hiking" trail, (I don't hike) to Founders Grove.



Photobucket
Massive trees were everywhere- still upright, and fallen.



Photobucket
Some of them twisted...



Photobucket
So quiet, and beautiful. I loved being there.



Photobucket
Action shot of the boys "hiking".

They were so funny- taking about how nature does whatever and how things happen and science this and science that, and then they'd pretend to be trees and it just totally seemed like a glimpse into Danny's childhood. They were like kids playing in the forest. I loved it- and I'm pretty sure they did too.



Photobucket
This fallen giant was particularly long, or would it be tall?



Photobucket
I love moss.



Photobucket
Many people had carved their names into the fallen tree trunks, including Edgar who went all in.



Photobucket
And there were lots of these- little "caves" inside the trees bases. I joked that if the smoke monster came through, that we could all hide in there. Ashkan laughed, Danny did not.



Photobucket
It was almost time for the eclipse, so we drove a little more to find some clear sky.



Photobucket
Danny figured out that we could view the eclipse safely if we used my camera's lenses. Good thing I brought my whole camera bag! We were just at the side of the road by an off/on ramp. I bet we looked silly standing there with lenses pointed at the sky, looking for the shadow on our chests.



Photobucket
There was this crazy lichen growing on the trees- some of it looked like this, and the other looked like green muppet hair.



Photobucket
Don't worry, I did.



Photobucket
So the clouds rolled in, right as it was starting. Lame. So I didn't get any actual photos of the eclipse. But it was cloudy enough that we could just look at the sun without worrying about burning our eyes out.



Photobucket
Then we figured out that if pointed just right, we could get a lens flare that showed the eclipse.



Photobucket
So we did get to see it, even if we didn't get any proof.

It was an awesome weekend. I hope to plan many more trips to the forest!



No comments:

Post a Comment