Monday, July 18, 2011

moving day, the longest car ride ever, and moving in

Remember all the drama involving the Pack Rat moving container? Yea. So we rented a 20 foot Uhaul instead and had Danny's dad Craig drive it to Cali for us. And we filled it full. Danny was joking about how when he got out of the military, all his worldly possessions fit into his VW bug. Hahaha! Then he met me. And all my stuff.

Since we would be traveling with 2 cats- oh yeah. I forgot to update you on the cat issue. Ahem.

So Danny and I had very different opinions about how Kobe cow cow would do on the trip. Danny said she'd be fine, and I would have rather put her down than torture her to death via a 12 hour car ride. My point was that I would never get over it if she got so scared/crazy/etc that she died in the car and we had to bury her on the side of the road, therefore putting her down was the humane thing to do. Danny said that with the right approach, she could do just fine in the car.

So while my mom and I were house hunting in SF, Danny began training Kobe to tolerate the car. He'd take her out and sit in the car for 30 mins or so. Then he would start the car, and sit with her for 5 mins or so. Then when I got home, we would take "family drives" about a half and hour long with both cats. And guess what? They did just fine. Sometimes it's a good idea to listen to your husband, because you are not always right.

Back to the story. We didn't really want to drive for 12 straight hours, but splitting it up and spending a night in a hotel with 2 cats was not ideal. So we decided to have Craig start driving on Thursday so at least he could split the drive. He says never to stay in Winnemucca, NV.

We headed out at about 8 a.m.

About an hour into the drive, the panting began. Poor little cow. I had to lock her in her carrier twice to get her to calm down.

She had a few glorious moments of lucidity where she would just lay on my lap and be quiet.

And then there were the crazy moments where both of them insisted on sitting on my lap, Kobe was panting and meowing, and Tilda was seriously poofing off gobs of fur- making me sneeze and sneeze and sneeze and the tissues were in the trunk so I had to use the one tiny napkin I found in the glove compartment to blow my snotty nose.

I can't even begin to tell you how thankful I am that Danny talked me out of putting her down. She is my baby. She cuddles with me at night, and sleeps on my head each morning. Even if she caused me great stress on that awful car ride- I am so glad that she is here with us. Oh, and I had to take her to the vet to get a rabies shot before we traveled- and they did a blood test and she is super hyper thyroid. So now I can give her pills twice a day and she should start gaining weight back and get better!

I started reading the chronicles of narnia on the way...

And we went from Nevada desert... rocky snow topped California mountains.

Finally! Once we hit sea level- the cats went in the back and fell asleep. Seriously. WHY COULDN'T THEY HAVE DONE THAT 10 HOURS AGO?!?!

Bay bridge.

Checking out the new place- including hiding spots. We weaseled our mattress out of the Uhaul and ordered a pizza. Done for the day.

We (Craig & Danny) unloaded the truck on Saturday, while I sat in the truck to make sure nobody would steal our junk.

Kobe found the best spot in the house. Well, the coolest spot. She gets hot, and needs cool air blowing on her to nap. Yes, this thinly furred, 5 pound cat gets too hot. And fatty fatso Tilda gets cold. Weirdos.

On Sunday I made the boys go out to play while I tried to unpack. Haha. All I did that day was re-arrange the boxes of stuff into the correct rooms so that the un-packing could begin. They ventured to the Mission to buy Danny a bike, you know, so he can ride his bike to work. Then they drove across the Golden Gate Bridge, and took some horrible photos. I made dinner and we went to bed early.

On Monday Danny rode his bike to work, Craig put together a 6 drawer dresser from Ikea, and I got some unpacking done. Then we took the metro into the city so we could ride a cable car down to Fisherman's Wharf and have dinner.

Going up Powell.

We had dinner at Aliotos- the first place Danny and I had dinner when came here last fall. It was delicious- but we were there for over 2 hours! On a Monday night! It was kinda chilly- and we had to wait for a bus and wait for a train and we were freezing. Remember- jackets and sweaters are always appropriate in SF.

Craig left the following morning, and Danny and I have been trying to get back into a normal routine since. It's happening- but slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment