Monday, September 17, 2012

summer camp for nerds (and the people that love them)

Photobucket
The second week of September was spent at Walker Creek Ranch, about 90 minutes north of where we live. The drive up was gorgeous, a little bit foggy, but still breathtaking.

We went to Nodeconf summer camp.



Photobucket
As the evening came, so did the fog. It creeps over the hills...



Photobucket
How retro is this cabin? For being built in the 70's (I'm guessing) the ranch is very well maintained. It's still a camp after all, but it was pretty nice. They even had wifi. (with all those nerds, they better have wifi!)


Photobucket
We were told to leave our cabin doors shut so the foxes wouldn't get in. And I was like yeah right, we won't see any foxes- and them bam! Here was this lil guy chilling in the garden!



Photobucket
He was about the size of a large cat.



Photobucket
And here is a Mr. Sheep.



Photobucket
There were some really pretty wildflowers...



Photobucket
I loved these pink colombines. 



Photobucket
Then we roasted marshmallows by the fire. I was glad for the fire, I was cold! I actually wore my wool winter coat that I haven't worn since moving to California...



Photobucket
The we went to the "Boogie Barn" for a laser light show and some music.



Photobucket
I got a few crazy shots...



Photobucket
Here is Jasmine raving it up with her special summer camp flashlight.



Photobucket
Direct shot of the lasers.




Photobucket
Since we aren't big on dancing, we snuck out and went to bed. 

Bed meaning 2 twin mattresses pushed together and I couldn't sleep because my nose totally plugged up because I forgot my allergy meds. Also, our room smelled funny. Probably because 100's of sweaty kids have camped here since the 70's.



Photobucket
The following morning, instead of going on a hike- Jane, Monia and I went into Point Reyes for essentials. I badly needed allergy medication, and they needed wine and coffee.



Photobucket
The coffee house was in this feed barn. Point Reyes is a really cute little town!




Photobucket
This hotel looked very charming!



Photobucket
My tether ball injury. Not a good idea to play tether ball with two children and a diamond ring. 



Photobucket
Later, we went "swimming" at the lake. It's more of a pond. And it was cold. So only the kids got in.


I braved the water by getting into a plastic kayak with Monia's son Matthew. I was so bad at paddling that I nearly scared the crap out of him. Once I got him to safety, I was much better at paddling.



Photobucket
Mandatory dock/water foot photo.

I slept much better the second night. But by the time we got up, (we slept through breakfast) we were ready to go home, to our fluffy towels and comfy 2 person plus cat friendly bed and real food. Camp cafeteria food was ok for the first day. Then we wanted to run away to find some decent food.




Photobucket
So we went back into Point Reyes...



Photobucket
And I had this delicious pulled pork sandwich, Danny had the mac n cheese, and it was fantastic. We walked around for a bit then we headed home.

Once we were through the door- I grabbed my book, Danny grabbed his iPad and we lazed about in bed for the rest of the day. Ahhhhh. We do laziness at home very well.


Wondering what the eff Nodeconf is? It's a nerd thing, a computer geek thing. This was an "un-conference" whatever that means. So all of the nerds got together and talked about nerdy crap, and the wives/girlfriends hung out and did other things. When we went to Portland it was also Nodeconf, except that it was an actual conference. But our husbands still got together and talked about nerdy crap, and the wives hung out and did other things. It's a social nerd thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment