Saturday, April 9, 2011

mugshot

(Vintage 1920's mugshots from the Sydney police archives)


I love the composition in this one. The chair, the puddles on the floor, the way she's looking away from the camera. Such an emotionally evoking photo. They don't make 'em like they used to.







When Danny and I went to San Fran last year, I saw an exhibit at the MOMA that was a collection of vintage crime scene photos. Chilling, grainy and real. Sometimes I miss film. I showed them to Danny, trying to explain why I fell in love with photography in the first place. I was sure he had never even seen a "real" photograph before. With silver ghosting and detail that even the finest digital camera has yet to capture- I think he got the message. I wanted him to fall in love with it too. He still won't use the big black Cannon, but he will grab the iPhone every now and again. He's got a good eye, he just needs more time to really love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment